29 July 2011

HP DL 165 G7 and P800 RAID Controller

I'm actually quite happy to be able to post this success :)
I have a client where they have an MSA 60(HP Storage works) in combination with the P800 Array Controller, All worked fine in an old ML350.

But now I had to try and make it work with the new HP DL 165 G7 Server they bought for running ESX.

I've encountered various problems, but I'll spare the most of them. Also I didn't note all the steps taken in detail, so just bear with me.

Problem 1:

The server comes with a p410 controller built-in, to be able to use the P800 (which is HUGE) you need to lose that controller. The P800's PCI connection is much smaller then the one on the mobo, but don't mind that and shove it in.
But then you cannot use the internal disks the server has. The workaround is to order a special SAS cable from amazon or something, to connect the disks to the P800's internal SAS Connector


Problem 2:

The BIOS does NOT give any note of the controller during the POST so there is no way to configure it. You need to download the "Offline Array Configuration Utility" from HP. You need to use the HP Usb creator, or burn it to a bootable CD.
Now you are able to use the ACU to configure the disks/volumes.
ESX DOES NOT SUPPORT LUNS OVER 2TB -512 Bytes


Actually, those were the 2 major problems...
After that , I was able to install ESX on the MSA and boot from it as well...
One thing to note: You can install the ACU and HP Management agents on the server, IF you install ESX , if you install ESXi there is no way to do this!!!

No comments: